Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Nurturing

"...our sons in their youth will be like well-nurtured plants..."
Psalm 144:12
Things in the Godzwa household are still a little chaotic. They would be in yours too, if you hadn't done any sort of filing or organizing since before Christmas, and you had 2 little munchkins running around the house disorganizing things every day since then. I'm still in my "fourth trimester", those 3 months post-partum when baby is not exactly on a schedule and mom's body is still adjusting from the experience of pregnancy and childbirth, so I'm giving myself a break.

A friend gave me a framed piece of artwork that contains the above verse. I was thinking about it today, and it's true. Although our home is a bit of a mess right now, my sons are well-nurtured. They are all well-fed (yes, even Levi!), clothed, and loved. They are growing, healthy, and sweet as can be (most of the time).

But my plants... well, let's just say they can't compare. I decided last spring to add a few plants to my living room to soften things up, and bravely chose something other than philodendron (the only houseplant I've been able to keep alive for any length of time). My problem is that I water my plants when they look like they need it... yeah, that's usually when it's too late. I had been doing well, though - only one of five bit the dust about two months ago.

But now that I have another human mouth to feed (and bathe, and put to sleep...), my plants have been neglected a few too many times. I'm glad they don't have feelings, or they'd all end up in counseling! We'll see how long they can hold out.
On a different note, Levi and Sam are both sporting war wounds this week. (Are they really being well-nurtured, you ask?) Levi took a tumble down some concrete steps when we were on campus this past weekend. He literally did a summersalt and planted his face! Oh, his tears and my panic! But within two minutes he was fine and so was I.

And Sam had a toussle with his friend who was over yesterday. There was something about them both wanting to play with the guitar and whose turn it was, and then suddenly Sam's cheek was bleeding. This happened within the first 10 minutes of the playdate! But for the next 3 hours the boys played happily together.

But their wounds make me feel oddly proud - I have boys! They are sweet and wonderful, but they also have tons of energy which I sometimes despise, only because I am sleep deprived and don't have a back yard to send them to. A friend asked me the other day if I've come to terms with having 3 boys. The truth is, I don't know what it's like to have a child who wants to do crafts, sit and read books or put together puzzles. Sure, my kids will do these things, but only when I initiate it, and not for very long. Usually I am trying to keep them from jumping on the couch or "playing the drums" too loudly.

And now, just for fun, a few more pictures:
Sam can't stop saying, "Nate is soooo cute!"
My little mischief-maker
The littlest man, 9 weeks old




2 comments:

Meg said...

They're so amazing and so are you! I'll try to give you a call within the next week.

Unknown said...

You're doing an awesome job, Jen. The pictures are great! Oh, how I wish you could fly down here with Mike! Are you sure you all couldn't just stow away??? The kids could run around in our back yard of concrete and we could all sweat together ;-) Wouldn't that be a blast!?
Give them lots of kisses from Aunt Kelly, Ok? Love ya!